Since the end of the year is nearly here, now is a good time to review your HR policies and documents and prepare for next year. Here are some specific HR items to review:
- Labor law posters – It’s important to make sure both federal and state posters are updated. You can find all of the required posters online for free or, if you want to save yourself some time and trouble, they can be purchased from a big box store for a reasonable price.
- Vacation policy – If you have a use it or lose it vacation policy make sure that your payroll systems are reset for next year.
- Review your employee handbook and make updates – If you haven’t done so already this year, you should review your handbook to make sure it is still in line with your company culture. Make appropriate changes and then give a copy of the updated handbook to each employee. Make sure you have each employee sign an acknowledgement of receipt.
- Benefits – If your company offers health insurance, now is typically the time of year to review and renew your policy. Then, be sure to hold a meeting with all employees to discuss any changes to the policy or premium increases. Any other benefit changes should be discussed with employees in this meeting as well, so there are no surprises next year.
- Look at your employee review process – Do you have a formal employee review process? If not, consider putting one in place. If you do have a review process, look over your documentation and metrics and decide if they are still in line with your company culture.